Article by MJ Banias January 10, 2020 (vice.com)
• In response to a FOIA request submitted by Christian Lambright, the US Navy says that it has ‘briefing slides’ that are classified TOP SECRET and videos classified SECRET, under Executive Order, pertaining to the “Nimitz Encounter” ‘Tic Tac’ UFO video taken in 2004 off of San Diego (see 2:45 minute video below) and two other UFO videos taken off of the East Coast in 2015, which were released to the public in late 2017 and early 2018. The Original Classification Authority has determined that the release of these newer materials would cause exceptionally grave damage to the National Security of the United States.
• But the Navy also possesses a video classified SECRET for which the Office of Navy Intelligence is not the Original Classification Authority. Pentagon spokesperson Susan Gough told Motherboard “The Department of Defense, specifically the U.S. Navy, has the video. As the Navy and my office have stated previously, as the investigation of UAP sightings is ongoing, we will not publicly discuss individual sighting reports (or) observations.” “We do not expect to release this video.”
• Last November, Popular Mechanics reported that several original witnesses of the Nimitz incident saw a longer, higher resolution video of the UFO encounter. A Petty Officer who served on the USS Princeton (part of the USS Nimitz carrier group), Gary Voorhis, said that he “definitely saw video that was roughly 8 to 10 minutes long and a lot more clear.” However, Navy pilot Commander David Fravor has stated that the longer video probably does not exist.
• Luis Elizondo, the former Pentagon staffer who ran the Pentagon’s ‘Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program’(AATIP), resigned in 2017, and along with ‘To The Stars Academy’, was instrumental in releasing the ‘Tic Tac’ and the other two UFO videos, said that due to a Non-Disclosure Agreement he made with the government, he was “not able to comment further on the existence of a longer video”. But Elizondo did say that “people should not be surprised by the revelation that other videos exist and at greater length”
• Luis Elizondo remarked that straightforward messaging does not seem to be the Pentagon’s strong suit. In (December) 2017 the New York Times ran the story about the $22 million AATIP Pentagon UFO program which Elizondo ran. The Pentagon has repeatedly changed its story since then. In September of 2019, the Navy confirmed the videos contained footage of “unknown aerial phenomena”. Last month, a Pentagon spokesperson said that AATIP had nothing to do with UFOs. “The Pentagon has a long history of sometimes providing inaccurate information to the American people,” says Elizondo. “I can only hope that the inconsistent message is due to the benign results of a large and cumbersome bureaucracy and not something more nefarious like a cover-up or deliberate misinformation campaign.”
The Pentagon has Top Secret-classified briefings and a Secret-classified video about an infamous UFO incident, the U.S. Navy said in response to a public records request.
The files concern the 2004 encounter between the USS Nimitz and strange unknown aerial objects. In 2017 and 2018, three videos of bizarre aircraft taken by Navy pilots from their fighter planes made national news. In December 2017, The New York Times ran a story about Navy pilots who intercepted a strange object off the coast of San Diego on November 14th, 2004, and managed to shoot video of the object with their F-18’s gun camera. In September of 2019, Motherboard reported that the Navy confirmed the videos contained footage of “unknown aerial phenomena.”
In response to a Freedom of Information Act request sent by researcher Christian Lambright seeking more information on the incident, the Navy said it had “discovered certain briefing slides that are classified TOP SECRET. A review of these materials indicates that are currently and appropriately Marked and Classified TOP SECRET under Executive Order 13526, and the Original Classification Authority has determined that the release of these materials would cause exceptionally grave damage to the National Security of the United States.”
“We have also determined that ONI possesses a video classified SECRET that ONI is not the Original Classification Authority for,” the letter continued.
Motherboard independently verified the FOIA response with the U.S. Navy.
“The Department of Defense, specifically the U.S. Navy, has the video. As Navy and my office have stated previously, as the investigation of UAP sightings is ongoing, we will not publicly discuss individual sighting reports/ observations,” Susan Gough, a Pentagon spokesperson, told Motherboard. “However, I can tell you that the date of the 2004 USS Nimitz video is Nov. 14, 2004. I can also tell you that the length of the video that’s been circulating since 2007 is the same as the length of the source video. We do not expect to release this video.”
2:45 minute FLIR1 ‘Tic Tac’ UFO video from 2004 (‘To the Stars Academy’ YouTube)
FAIR USE NOTICE: This page contains copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. ExoNews.org distributes this material for the purpose of news reporting, educational research, comment and criticism, constituting Fair Use under 17 U.S.C § 107. Please contact the Editor at ExoNews with any copyright issue