by John Wenz August 29, 2017 (nbcnews.com)
• Scientists consider the possibility that evidence of ancient aliens might exist on Earth or in our solar system.
• Ancient aliens might have left signs of their advanced technology, dubbed “technosignatures”.
• Dr. Jason Wright outlined his provocative argument in the “International Journal of Astrobiology”.
• The subsurface of Mars or the moon, with less geological activity, are the most likely places to find such evidence says Dr. Wright.
• [Editor’s Note] Is this a crack in the scientific mindset that humans are the only intelligent life that this solar system has ever seen?
Astronomers believe it’s possible that advanced beings lived in or visited our solar system eons ago — and perhaps left behind certain ‘technosignatures.’
We’re used to the idea of searching for space aliens by scanning the heavens for their radio signals — after all, that’s what Jodie Foster’s character does in the 1997 movie Contact and the way alien hunters commonly go about their work.
But some scientists think the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) shouldn’t be limited to far-flung star systems. Rather, they argue, we should consider the possibility that evidence of intelligent aliens might exist here on Earth, or on one or more of our nearest neighbors in the solar system.
These scientists aren’t saying aliens might be living among us now. They’re raising the possibility that another intelligent species lived or visited our cosmic neck of the woods millions or billions of years ago and left behind so-called “technosignatures” — things like radios, rockets, or other examples of advanced technology — that might yet exist deep underground or out in space.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This page contains copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. ExoNews.org distributes this material for the purpose of news reporting, educational research, comment and criticism, constituting Fair Use under 17 U.S.C § 107. Please contact the Editor at ExoNews with any copyright issue.